Entire Process of How To Adhere Formica Laminate
Here are all of the steps:
- Cut the laminate about one inch oversize in both directions, length and width.
- Rough the surface of the cabinet or countertop that you are gluing the Formica laminate to with 40 grit sand paper.
- Apply contact glue to both surfaces and allow it to dry for about 15 minutes.
- Stick the two pieces together being careful to align them just right.
- Roll out the plastic laminate with a J-roller or you can use a block of wood and a hammer to apply the pressure that is needed.
- Apply wax or oil on the edge where the router bit will be spinning on the laminate if necessary.
- Route off the excess Formica.
- File the plastic laminate
- Clean the surface with lacquer thinner.
The process of gluing down Formica is the same whether you are laminating a cabinet, shelves, doors or countertops.
Important note: When applying plastic laminate to countertops, it is very important to always use flammable contact adhesive. If you use non-flammable contact glue, you risk the chance of the glue letting loose in the event you spill something very hot on the surface.