Fix Loose Cabinet Door Handle or Drawer Knob
If you need to fix your loose kitchen, bathroom vanity or office cabinet handle or perhaps a knob that’s loose, I know how. There are solutions for various situations. Fixing a screw that’s loose by just tightening it with a Phillip’s screw driver would be too easy. Read If that’s all you needed then you wouldn’t be searching the Internet for an answer for how to fix your door hardware. There’s a solution to your problems.
Why Won’t My Cabinet Handle Tighten?
1) If the screw’s tight and it’s still not seated correctly, the screw may be too long.
2) It’s possible that the cabinet installer used a metric screw rather than a standard American thread. This would cause the fastener to bind in the insert of the knob or handle.
3) A common occurrence on brass is that the inside threads get stripped out.
4) Plastic Handles and knobs have a tendency to crack sometimes. They will also strip out easier than the brass hardware.
5) Wood hardware could be cracked or stripped.
6) Sometimes hardware is placed on the decorative drawer face before it is attached to th3e actual drawer. Over time the screw becomes loose. Because it’s sandwiched between the drawer and decorative front it cannot be tightened easily.
Possible Solutions for Fixing Loose Cabinet Door Handles and Knobs
1) If the metal is stripped out a small dab of super glue will lock things down. YOU MUST NOT GET ANY ON THE CABINET DOOR. You know that you are going to have to work quickly too!
2) Tooth picks combined with wood glue work great for fixing wood, plastic or nylon knobs where the hole is stripped out.
3) Try a different type thread screw. Metric and standard screws are available from a local cabinet supply company.
4) If the knob was attached to the drawer face prior to it being mounted on to the cabinet drawer, remove the front and tighten the screws. The reattach the decorative drawer face.
Outside of replacing your cabinet handle or knob that is loose, there really are not any other solutions related to how to fix a loose hardware. If you decide to use super glue, you must use a very small drop and attach the screw quickly. Make sure that you safeguard the countertop or floor below the area where you are fixing the loose kitchen or bathroom vanity cabinet knob.