Designing Garage Cabinets-Efficient Organization Ideas
In the process of designing garage storage areas it’s a good idea to include in the cabinets design an area for pegboard. The amount that you include will be determined by the work bench area. However, it is Ok to have a separate section that caters to just being able to hang certain tools for working in the yard or on your cars. Below are a few suggestions of things you may want to consider hanging up rather than putting inside a cabinet. Read
Pegboard Area With Hangers For:
- Extension cords
- Small hand tools for hobby work
- Car repair tools
- Hedge clippers
- Weed whackers
- Tin snips
- Pruning sheers
- Weed killer spray bottles
You must have drawer storage!
There are literally thousands of items that need to be considered when you’re designing your garage storage area for cabinets. A great place to start working on the dimensions is the depth of the cabinetry. This is really going to be determined by a couple of things.
1) How much room you have in the walk area when your car or vehicles are parked in the garage.
2) Whether or not you are using precut garage cabinets or having them custom fabricated. Many of the garage system cabinet suppliers use a particular standard depth of cabinetry in their designs. If you don’t mind paying extra, many of the manufactures who have the equipment to do so will custom build your storage cabinets for you.
The best design of garage cabinet’s will include varying depths, heights and styles of cupboards. The most functional setups I have every witnessed had room for storing household seasonal items for Christmas and Halloween as well as enough storage for mechanical and yard work tools.
Garage Storage Designs Ideas for Items
1) Holiday Decoration Storage-If you do not have an attic where you would normally place these seasonal items for Christmas, Thanksgiving or Halloween then you must utilize an area in the garage cabinetry design.
2) Vacationing Travel Bags-Having an area designated for storing luggage and carry-on hand bags should be considered in the design.
3) Fishing, Hunting and Camping Supplies-Just about everyone needs space for the fishing rods, hunting items and camping gear. Fold-up lounge chairs, tree stands and tackle boxes should be considered when you are designing the cupboards.
4) Vacuum Cleaners, Brooms and Mops- A designated area for all of the cleaning supplies and tools is a great plus to have in the garage.
5) Laundry Cupboards-If your washer and dryer are in the garage, then it’s a great addition to make sure you have some type of storage shelf for the laundry detergent.
6) Children’s Toys-Go carts, bicycles, roller-blades, skateboards and tricycles are all items that need to have a particular place. Footballs, baseball gear, soccer items and tennis rackets and balls also need to be included in the garage organization process.
The sky is the limit when you are designing garage cabinets. I guess the extent of how many cupboards and shelves that you have will depend largely on the number of hobbies you are involved in and the budget that you are working with. There are thousands of items that were not mentioned. Things like power drills, chain saws, palm tree trimmers and scuba diving gear. If you live in the northern states, areas for snow mobiles, sleds and ice skates must be included in the garage cabinets design.
This blog is really nice. Your article on garage arrangement is simply nice. I really used your ideas in arranging my garage and I liked them a lot. Now my garage looks really pretty. Thousands of thanks to you.
Before visiting this blog, I was in a confusion on how to design my garage. But your blog totally cleared my all my doubts and helped a lot. Many many thanks for posting this blog.
Very helpful ideas. I have found if you empty out your garage and then start over, it is surprising how much stuff you will find that never makes it back into the garage. Having an empty garage to start with makes it easier to put stuff back in a neat and orderly fashion
There are some killer garages/ideas on this site: https://www.vaultgarage.com/
I will consider the Garage Storage Designs Ideas which you mentioned in your post in redesigning my garage cabinets. Thank you for sharing your valuable ideas.
Very useful tips for all of us who want to design there own garage. I just love the garage pics and want to have similar kind of garage.
I like your ideas to design garage cabinets in efficient way. I am going to use these ideas to improve my garage this weekend.
William, you are totally right. Most people decide to have a garage sale before or after the cabinets are installed. The thing about starting something like this is that an obsession usually kicks in and you can’t stop cleaning things.